CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, November 22, 2009

I'm Thankful

I love having Thanksgiving before Christmas. It gives me time to ponder the wonderful blessings in my life, and it puts me in the mood to enjoy the true spirit of Christmas. So, today I am thankful for my family.

My husband Rom was sent to me over 21 years ago. The moment he saw me, he knew he would marry me. It took him about three weeks to convince me. His purpose in life, as he says it, is to make me happy. He is very, very successful at it! I am the most spoiled, adored wife on the planet. He loves me, supports me, encourages me, lifts me, and makes me more than I ever imagined I could be. He is so much fun, and he makes me laugh every day. Life is an adventure with him. I can't imagine facing the trials I have to face without him.

Kyara was sent to me to make me fall in love with motherhood. From the day I first held her in my arms, she has been a joy to me. She is loving, funny, kind, cool, brilliant, and independent. Just as I held my breath waiting to discover who she was as a baby, I now hold my breath waiting to discover what wonderful thing she becomes as a "grown-up."

Romney is the one who makes me stretch as a mother. He is a very challenging boy! But that is because there is such a tremendous spirit in him that it is like trying to tame a wild stallion. There is a lot of power there, and I need to make sure it is used for good. He has a surprising sense of humor and is so much fun to be around.

Johnette, the Spirit once told me, was very eager to come to our family because she and I used to be such great friends in the premortal world. She is a gentle soul. She is compassionate and empathetic. She has always been so unique! It's fun to watch her face light up as she's telling a story. I love to see her coming into her own.

Anneli is the epitome of passion. There is fire in her love and in her displeasure. People gravitate to her, because she is very accepting and fun to be with. She inspires the people around her. She can be driven and excels at everything she puts her heart into.

Gabriel is determination personified. Whatever he sets his mind to, he achieves. Whatever he chooses to do with life, he will be unstoppable. He is smart, loving, kind, and fair. He is a great snuggler and gives the best kisses ever.

Gavin reminds me that life is joyful. He dances through life with such energy and enjoyment. He has a contagious smile. He can be so quirky, catching you off guard sometimes with a strange and witty comment. He is game for almost anything!

I'm also grateful for the family I grew up in. My children love to hear stories about my parents (Dad's "I'll pinch your head off!" and Mom's wind-up toy). I learned the most important lessons about being a parent from them: unconditional love conquers all, and keep on trying to be better. I love the bond I share with my sisters and the gallantry of my brothers. I embrace my whitetrashiness! At its heart, it is living life with no pretense and giving yourself, warts and all, to the people who love you.

Happy Thanksgiving! I love you!

6 comments:

Juli said...

It is always so fun to hear about your family. I am so glad you are pursuing writing. You have such a wonderful way of saying things. I love you.

Terry Jane said...

That is so very nice Shel...and so true about your dad's saying! I remember it too! HAHAHAHA
Your mom must have some kind of writing gene she has passed down. Laurie and now you! Love you, Honey Aunt Terry

Vidal's Nest said...

Great post. I love that you listed each thing about your kids that you are grateful for. I think it is nice to take the time to remember the great stuff about our kids too!
Family is the best!

Lynda said...

What beautiful sentiments. You brought tears to my eyes. It is so wonderful to acknowledge all of the family and the blessings they bring. Each individual one always adds something to our lives, and you have expressed it so beautifully. And, like Terry, I'll never forget your dad and the "pinch your head off".
You parents are the best role models for unconditional love I've been around.
Hope your family has a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Ginger said...

What a wonderful post. I agree with you they are all exceptional. I think the reason might have a lot to do with you. Can't wait to see you at Christmas. Love you.

Danya said...

Thanks for sharing that with us shelli!!!!