CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 28, 2010

He'll Be the Death of Me Yet!

Remember that feeling when you bring your newborn home? Your child is so tiny, so frail, so fragile, you hover over him. You check his breathing six times a night. You panic if he sleeps in later than his usual schedule. He seems so perfect to you, you worry in the back of your mind that Heavenly Father just might decide he needs this baby back. This fear of death usually goes away after a few months. But with Romney? Well, let's just say he has a way of bringing that fear back every so often.

Maybe it's because he's so passionate about life. Or maybe, more likely, it's because he's impulsive and doesn't think things through very well. Whatever it is, he is such an accident prone child! My worried mother's heart gets no rest.

Riding his scooter in the rain led to a chip of bone that still floats around in his chin. Skimboarding at the beach gave him his first broken bone. Notice I said first? A stick in the foot meant a nasty infection that lasted months. And who can forget that horrible bike accident that landed him in the emergency room just a few months ago?

We took a trip to the Urgent Care yesterday. Romney had been complaining about pain in his chest right under his ribs. At first, I thought it was indigestion from those nasty Taki chips he eats. But it was worse the next day, and the next. I've learned from experience that if I take him in, it's usually nothing, but if I don't, it will be something serious. I erred on the side of caution. And ... it was nothing. A bruised rib or strained muscle caused by swimming or coughing too hard. Nothing to do about it but give him some ibuprofen and let it heal.

Pacified, I let him go to the concert last night. He comes home late and wakes me up at 12:45 am. "Mom, I think I broke my arm," he tells me. He was in the mosh pit, and some guy kicked him deliberately. There is a bump on his forearm that makes me think he might be right. So, we'll wrap it up and put it in a sling today, and take him right back to the doctor tomorrow.

Did I mention he has started driving?

4 comments:

Amanda said...

:/ eekk!!

Ginger said...

I think I would hold off on the driving part. I also would keep him away from concerts if he goes to the mosh pit.

SG said...

Oh Shelli, that's nuts!! I saw him at the Sacrament Table yesterday all wrapped up and wondered what happened. Good luck!!

Vidal's Nest said...

He's a animal! Good luck with that one :)