CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 11, 2009

How Does Your Garden Grow?

This week is International ME/CFS Awareness Week, and so I will be blogging a bit about CFS and how it has affected me. I thought I would start the week by answering Lauri's question, "How does your garden grow?"

Every year, about this time, I get a hankering for a garden. Not just any kind of garden, but a big vegetable garden like I remember from our childhood. I have accomplished it once -- when we lived in Oceanside, we had a lovely garden with zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, watermelon, squash and more. I loved it!

Well, since I've had CFS, I've basically given up hope for having a real garden. The very thought of hoeing and planting and weeding and watering and keeping on top of it all makes me have to go lie down! However, this year, a spark of an idea came to mind.

And ... tada!!! Here is my vegetable garden, CFS-style:

I have a Patio variety of cherry tomato that is bred specifically to grow in a container, plus some basil and sage. I have those fancy water globes, so I don't have to hover over it trying to keep it watered. Just a couple of months, and I'll be popping sun-warmed cherry tomatoes into my mouth for that burst of summer flavor!

And THAT's how my garden grows!!!

3 comments:

Danya said...

HAHA I love it! That's what I should do! I DESPERATELY want a garden but I do not have a yard (or the time) to keep one up so I'm basically left without. However, I should try to get some planters. That would be nice. Thanks for the great idea Shel!

And I look forward to all of your posts this week. I can't begin to understand what you go through with CFS but at least your awareness posts can help me a bit!

Vidal's Nest said...

Great idea. Reminds me of Aunt Lynda's post about if we can be the best we can be at that particular time then we are a sucess! Sounds like you are getting creative in handling things and that is a huge thing! Keep it up!

Ginger said...

That is my idea of the perfect garden. I bought some topsy-turvy tomatoe holders 3 months ago and they are still in the garage. No green thumb here.