CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Tree

Ok, remember how we used to go out hunting for the perfect tree? Dad would drive around to ten different tree lots. We'd look over all the trees, shake a couple out, check it from every angle. If we didn't get a unanimous decision, we went on to the next lot. Every year, we found just the right tree for us! And then there were carols in the car and hot chocolate when we got home.

Well, it was just like that for us this year! Except, instead of ten different lots, we just went to Home Depot. The kids were all for the first tree we picked up, even though it was completely squashed in the back. The second tree looked better, and I had to call everyone back together for a perfunctory, "Yeah, it's ok" before one child asked, "Can we go play now?" Then, as we were paying for the tree, I hear a loud crash and a scream, and I think, "Oh, I'm glad that's not my children!" I glance over and discover, oops, those are my children -- and they're the ones who are old enough to know better.

I order them all to go wait in the car. On the ride home, I threaten to buy a fake tree next year. I turn the Christmas music up loudly to drown out the whining.

Yep! Just like the Christmases I knew so well!

Click to play The Tree
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

3 comments:

Vidal's Nest said...

I had a good laugh over that one!
Does your whole house smell wonderful now?

Danya said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

HIL-AIR-EOUS!!!

How the times change, lol.

DANI KYNASTON said...

I am sure mom and dad remember the adventures a little differently. I am sure they would have several tales of fighting and horrendous behavior. I have thought a lot lately about how mom would suddenly burst into tears when we were growing up. I used to think she was nuts, but now I get it. I feel the same way when my kids are bickering and won't do a thing I ask them. Oh, how our perspectives change!