CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Pursuit of Excellence

Here I am, nearly finished, but I've only posted once or twice! One of my favorite talks was "The Infinite Power of Hope," by Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf. I was also lucky enough to give a Relief Society lesson on this. It was a great lesson (thank you friends for contributing!!!), and I learned so much. It is interesting how I have a tendency to zero in on those things that help us through trials. Maybe I've had a taste of those in my day!

I've often heard about faith, hope and charity, but it seems hope never gets much attention. I appreciated how this talk expanded my understanding of what hope is and how I can apply it more in my life.

"The things we hope in sustain us during our daily walk. They uphold us through trials, temptations, and sorrow. Everyone has experienced discouragement and difficulty. Indeed, there are times when the darkness may seem unbearable. It is in these times that the divine principles of the restored gospel we hope in can uphold us and carry us until, once again, we walk in the light.

"We hope in Jesus the Christ, in the goodness of God, in the manifestations of the Holy Spirit, in the knowledge that prayers are heard and answered. Because God has been faithful and kept His promises in the past, we can hope with confidence that God will keep His promises to us in the present and in the future. In times of distress, we can hold tightly to the hope that things will “work together for [our] good” as we follow the counsel of God’s prophets. This type of hope in God, His goodness, and His power refreshes us with courage during difficult challenges and gives strength to those who feel threatened by enclosing walls of fear, doubt, and despair."

I also had the opportunity to give a lesson on unity from the talk, "Our Hearts Knit As One," by Elder Henry B. Eyring. As you all know, because I've said it many times, I love my ward! It is because the people in my ward really love each other, help each other, and serve each other. When we have discussions, we are not afraid to "let it all hang out," because we don't judge each other and gossip. We know that this is a safe place where we can find help in trials and discouragement as well as celebrate joys and triumphs. Being with these people, I can see why the Lord encourages us to "meet together oft," because it is so wonderful to not have to go this journey alone.

"What will become more obvious to us is that the Atonement brings the same changes in all of us. We become disciples who are meek, loving, easy to be entreated, and at the same time fearless and faithful in all things. We still live in different countries, but we come into the Church through a process that changes us. We become by the gifts of the Spirit what the Apostle Paul saw:

"'For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

“'Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God.'”

I finished my lesson with a challenge to add one more thing to your list of New Year's resolutions -- Apply the atonement more fully in your life. That means be willing to lay at your Savior's feet everything that weighs down your heart: all your sins and imperfections, all your sadness, illnesse, trials and difficulties.

1 comments:

SG said...

Shelli, your lessons are always amazing! I'm so glad you put re-caps on here because I'm too super far away to attend but this gives me that extra umpf that I need! I too loved both those talks and was inspired by them. Thanks for all you do, your example and sharing your testimony. I miss ya!