CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 10, 2008

Book Club Update

So, we met for our book club last week. Surprisingly, everyone felt pretty much the same about our book, My Sister's Keeper. We all hated the mom. We pretty much thought the ending was appropriate, but the epilogue was completely untrue to the story line. Danya enjoyed the Julia character -- she found the objective point of view helpful in developing the story. However, she agreed that the court scene, where Julia is unable to give an opinion, was a let down. We agreed that the Dad was also a let down in court, when he should have stood up for Anna, and he didn't.

The new book for this month is a dip into the sci fi genre. We'll be reading "Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus" by Orson Scott Card. Synopsis: "In one of the most powerful and thought-provoking novels of his remarkable career, Orson Scott Card interweaves a compelling portrait of Christopher Columbus with the story of a future scientist who believes she can alter human history from a tragedy of bloodshed and brutality to a world filled with hope and healing. "

I'm a little nervous, because I'm the one who chose the book. I've really enjoyed the book, and I'm hoping others will, too -- although, that's not a prerequisite! It's more important that we get a good discussion out of the book, and I think this will fit the bill. It has an interesting take on history, religion, morality, slavery, and what greatness is.

Join us, and comment when we review!

4 comments:

The Northwest Bunch said...

I am a big fan of Card. Haven't read this one though. He usually puts a nice LDS spin on things or sprinkles some LDS views into his writings.
He wrote a Sci-Fi series that is pretty much the Book of Mormon stories. It was nice but a little slow.
Hope you enjoy this one. I might read it too.
Jim

Ryan Goulding said...

I am a huge OSC fan. He is the master of "ethical dilemmas" in books. Well chosen! If you like this book, I recommend you try others that he has written.

DANI KYNASTON said...

Hope it turns out well. I love the books you are reading. Our ward is doing a club that I would be more interested in doing if it had a little more meat. It sounds like you all have some great ideas!

Danya said...

Ryan you need to stop commenting on other people's blogs! You haven't posted in MONTHS! I'm pretty sure that puts you on the verge of excommunication in the blog world!