CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

An Epic Milestone - A Quiet Day

I have been hearing jealous whisperings from many of you who still have babies at home, wanting to know how my day went yesterday, wanting perhaps to live the moment vicariously -- so, here in all its juicy detail, was my wonderful, fabulous, fantastic day!

I woke up to a whirlwind of activity as six excited and nervous kids got ready for school. Kyara drove herself and Romney to school. I took Gabe and Gavin to make sure they found their classes OK. Rom took Johnette and Ana to school on his way to work.

So, at 8:30 a.m., I had the house all to myself! I immediately took a vow of silence -- no TV, no music, no sound effects on the computer -- just quiet all around me! Let me pause for a minute to remember the feeling: ahhhhh. OK, I'm ready to continue. I started my morning with yoga, spending extra time on the corpse pose. Again: ahhhhhh. I took a quick shower, read my scriptures, and said my prayers, completely uninterrupted!

I threw a load of laundry in the washer on my way downstairs, feeling very proud of myself for this domestic accomplishment. I then got on the computer, read my blogs and e-mails, checked out some news headlines, and did my daily crossword puzzle.

I now confess that I played a computer game for two hours! Yes, that's right, I am revealing my guilty pleasure. It's a secret shared by myself and a few other women in the ward, but we like to play World of Warcraft. Completely mindless entertainment. Once again: ahhhhh.

I ate my lunch, swapped out the laundry, felt a little bored. Boredom is so underrated! I got a wild hair and decided it was time to return my bedroom to its original paradisaical glory. Now, don't get me wrong, I wasn't going to ruin my day with a cleaning frenzy! Nope, I just cleared out the area around my nook, rinsed out my fountain for the first time in months, and cleaned the little table it sits on. I then sat in my chair and ate some See's candies. One last time: ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

So, was I sad? Nah, I did that last year when Gavin entered kindergarten. This was just pure bliss! Ladies, pay your dues, enjoy your babies while you can, but in the back of your mind, remember -- you have this to look forward to!

4 comments:

Vidal's Nest said...

Ohhh!!!!
My day? chasing little one down hall since he ripped diaper off and is poopy and is depositing wet turds all over my house!
Ok, this too shall pass, this too shall pass!
How fantastic! quiet, games, and see's candy to boot! My day will come..oh yes it will...

Danya said...

Haha, that sounds like my days when Kevin isn't home (which have been 0 recently, lol). Drive him somewhere, do a little cleaning, a little selfish indulgence, and bask in my peace. As much as you love your family "me" time is always nice. (I learned that from your lesson on Sunday!!!)

- Danya

SG said...

Shelli, I love it! Congratulations, you've worked hard for that day. Best part of it? You get like 9 more months of it, enjoy!

DANI KYNASTON said...

I would say that I am jealous but I am really enjoying my Joe time. I am sure when the time comes it will be well worth all the hard work. It is trying to raise little ones but they sure are worth it!