CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, July 19, 2008

52 Weeks Blessing

OK, this week I am thankful for my favorite place in the world -- the beach! Growing up in Southern California, we spent a lot of time at the beach. I remember driving to the beach. We had a contest to see who could see the beach water first. Cari almost always won! She had a sixth sense, I think. Or maybe just a better seat in the station wagon. I loved that you could always smell the beach before you could see it. It heightened the anticipation!

I remember giant Family Nights at the beach. Our whole ward would show up early. We would swim for hours and hours. Then, we'd build a huge bonfire and have hot dogs and s'mores. The teenagers would go swimming after dark, and then come back to the fire to warm up. We'd change out of our bathing suits into shorts and sweatshirts. I remember the smell of the baby powder we'd use to get all the sand out of (as Gabe would put it) ... um, you know! Then, we'd drive home and fall asleep, and when we were little, Dad would carry us to bed. I loved sleeping with that warm sun-kissed glow from a day at the beach.

We camped at the beach twice a year -- once for spring break, and once during the summer. I learned how to hone my "scamming" skills during our camping trips. I met some of the greatest people, and we had so much fun! I bet Dad still remembers the "long-haired weirdo" I met my junior year. I remember staying up all night to watch the sunrise once -- really romantic, right? Except the sun rises in the east, not the west, and it was always overcast until after 10 am. There was nothing more romantic than sunsets, though, and midnight walks on the beach. I remember one August walking under a full moon at low tide, and since there was a red tide, the surf was fluorescent. It was like lightning shooting through the waves. As we walked in the wet sand, sparks flew from our steps. It was the coolest thing, ever!

Later, when we Rom and I lived in Oceanside, and I was going through my "Job days," he would send me at least weekly to the beach all by myself -- no kids or anything! I would walk and talk to my Heavenly Father, pouring out my heart to him. Heavenly Father always sent me a gift -- a sighting of dolphins, a special seashell or sand dollar, starfish in a bunch of kelp. There was always something to remind me that He knew I was having a tough time, but He still loved me.

Now, with kids of my own, I love to watch them discover everything that I love about the beach! It must be genetic, because they seem to love it as much as I do.

1 comments:

Vidal's Nest said...

I still play the I spy the beach game with my kids! I can remember watching to see if I could spot it firtst! You and Cari WERE master scammers too!
I had forotten the ward beach parties. I loved them!
I miss the beach!
Found myself crying off and on today missing my family and knowing you were all at the beach! Bummer!